Tuesday, April 5, 2011

QUESTIONS, ONLY QUESTIONS napowrimo #5a

QUESTIONS, ONLY QUESTIONS

Why can't my students come prepared
with an open mind under their hair,
with food in their bellies, a smile on the face,
knowing they're part of this human race?

Why must they come with their vacant look
as if it's a chore to just open a book?
Why must they grumble when given a task,
like curiosity is too much to ask?

And why don't they know how great they are,
that each one shines, that each is a star?
Why do they clamour that life's not enough?
Who filled their heads with that silly stuff?

Could I have done it when I said, "That's not right."?
Could it have been me who stole their delight?
Was it something I said? Did I make it wrong
to be wrong, hoping they would be strong?

Was it the time I said to them, "No, wait!
I can't teach that now. According to State
Board of Ed regs, we must learn that later."
Did I stiffle desire when it could have grown greater?

They come to me and give me their trust
as best as they can, so to teach is a must.
The dilemma is, what do I do to ignite
the spark that has faded deep into THEIR night?



Michelle Balletto-Wooten
© 4-5-11

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite thing you've shown me. With your permission, can I hang it in my classroom (assuming I get to have a classroom) next year? It's beautiful and heartbreaking, Michele!!!

    ReplyDelete